Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Listening to Lata Mangeshkar now..

After a month of bollywood music deprivation, am overloading myself with Lata Mangeshkar tracks today. My music player at work was on before my email was!! Tracks so far :-
Suno sajna
Yeh dil tum bin kahee lagtaa nahin
Bahaaron mera jeeven bhi sawaaron

the last one is in a loop for probably the 5th time now, the starting piece of santoor and flute makes me wonder, is this Shiv Hari ? Reminds me of the classic 1968 'Call of the valley'...

Why does santoor feel like ripples of water ?
Why does sitar feel like a romantic moment with a stranger ?
Why does flute feel like a peaceful sleep ?

Some questions have no answers..

P.S :- If there is God on earth,he/she probably lives in the vocal chords of Lata Mangeshkar ??

7 comments:

SP said...

No, God resides in the vocal chord of Mohd Rafi.No one can beat him for his most romantic voice

Saaveri... said...

Dearest SP,
agreed! God resides in Rafis' voice also.. can I ever beat you on this one ? Haven't we fought over this matter many times now ?

How about this ? God resides in their duets like 'patta patta buta buta','teri bindiya re' and all those reeeally romantic songs that we swoon over ??

SP said...

:) :)
Hey dont worry.
I am also a big fan of Lata..
In songs like Jo wada kiya woh nibhana padega, palkhon ke peeche se etc ,what a wonderful duo they were!
Also there can be only one Lata, Asha,Kishore,Mukesh and one and only Rafi..
:)

Pramod said...

Welcome back :)

Some songs strike the right chords and so do some musical pieces!!!! My player goes into repeat mode as well on these ones!!!!!

As for Lata...... well its more about Asha for me, i like her better!!!!

Sundari said...

Rex,

I will go with Pramod on this one. Not that I don't like Lata. I find Asha's voice a whiff of fresh air, thanks to my husband who introduced me to the real Asha songs or may be because I over did Lata, Rafi, Kishore in my college days.

Back in my college, I heard 'most' of Lata songs - the sad ones, the happy ones, the solos, the duets, the classicals. Looking back, I feel Lata has monopolized the singing industry. I feel the industry had not given a chance to many people those days. I am glad the scene is different today.

Ya, I can not agree more with you on what the instruments you quoted, seemingly represent.

Sundari

Anand said...

I agree that God resided in Lata's throat until the early eighties. How can you forget MS Subbalakshmi,the girl who carried a Veena in her throat as remarked by some stalwart (name eludes my memory right now) and was able to maintain the sweetness in her voice right upto the time she was in her eighties?

Saaveri... said...

MSS is God!